Saturday, July 12, 2014

Dead Reckoning (Sookie Stackhouse #11) by Charlaine Harris

✰✰✰

 

Reviewed by Tabatha

 

*Special Note* This review is being moved over from a blog I used to have, so this is an old book that I thought I'd share. You will see several appearing soon. :)

Wow... I am just so disappointed and slightly angry with Charlaine Harris right now.  I have loved the Sookie series, but it seems the last few books have been on a slow decline, and not much thought has been put into them.

To sum it up, Sookie has gotten herself in trouble yet again, but this time it starts with a fire bombing at Merlotte's. Meanwhile Pam and Eric are on the outs, and it seems to be about something Eric will not tell Sookie about but no question it involves her. Not to mention that they need to have an upheaval in the Vampire community of Louisiana, and Sookie wants Eric to get on with the blood bath.

On the plus side, Sookie breaks her bond with Eric and, although very unwise, she at least figures out that she does love Eric and he loves her. I'm also very pleased that a certain trouble maker is now dead too.

But on the negative side, the story and the characters have lost their luster for me, and worst of all it had a very messy plot. I feel like Harris has lost what made her characters so appealing, and they just are not interesting anymore. Too many pages were devoted to random characters, and not focused where they should have been. Random scenes thrown in with past characters are fine, but shouldn't they help develop the plot and not detract from it.   OHHHHHH... and I think I can personally say referring to a girl's anatomy as a "yahoo" was the tackiest thing I've ever read! And Sookie... you cannot wish for a blood bath and then take the moral high ground. Your "Christian" morals are starting to grate on my nerves!  I hope Harris can turn this around in the future, because I'm really falling out of love with this series.  The book was overall very disappointing ,and I hope the author can stop writing books that she thinks will look good on television and get back to real writing.

If you'd like to check out more about this series or other books by Charlaine, please head over to her website.


No comments:

Post a Comment