Thursday, July 24, 2014

Playing His Game (Reynolds Brothers #2) by Justine Elvira

✰✰✰

 

Reviewed by Tabatha

 

I was so excited to get my hands on this new book from Justine Elivira after reading the first book in this series. I think that she has a unique voice, and that she also uses refreshingly new material for her books as well. Playing His Game was a good follow up, and I have to say that I enjoyed reading Scott and Winnie’s story.

Winnie has managed to get herself in a tangled mess when it comes to her feelings about her now brother-in-law Scott. What started off as an intense sexual connection has now developed into a relationship that neither one of them were expecting. They go in with the idea that they were supposed to have a friends with benefits relationship, but as they got to know one another other feelings started to arise. When Scott finds himself in a massive amount of trouble of his own making, Winnie basically throws her life away in order to save him and basically gets bitch slapped for her efforts.

On the one hand, I adored the way that these two started out their non-relationship and how things progressed. Scott showed signs that he cared more about her, but then he was an unbelievable asshat of epic proportions to Winnie too. Scott believes himself incapable of love, but I was kind of bugged that we never really find out exactly why. I also couldn’t believe what he allowed Winnie to do to save him, and his subsequent actions were nearly unforgivable in my opinion. He really didn’t grovel near enough for me, and I did find that one other aspect of the story was left unresolved as well in regards to that whole event.

The heat and chemistry between these two will leave you fanning yourself, so it was one unbelievably sexy read. Both characters had their own flaws, but I enjoyed that those flaws complimented their relationship too. I knew going into this story that Winnie was going to be a great character, so I’m happy to say that she definitely lived up to my expectations. Scott on the other hand…not so much. I kind of wanted Winnie to drop Scott and move on when we got to the end, but that wouldn’t make a romance book complete if they didn’t have their HEA. Now despite those feelings, I have to say that overall this was another good read from Justine. I don’t know which brother is next, but I’m looking forward to where she takes the Reynolds Brothers series from this point. 

If you'd like to check out more about this series or other books by Justine, please head over to her website.


No comments:

Post a Comment