Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Faithful by Louise Bay

✰✰✰

Reviewed by Tabatha  

 

I needed a bit of time to figure out my thoughts on Faithful.  On the one hand, I enjoyed the story and I liked the characters, but on the other I felt like it was missing something that I just couldn’t put my finger on.   I think what hung me up was the fact that it felt almost mechanical rather than emotional to me.  I could see the author really trying to get the emotion in there, but sex isn’t the foundation of a relationship and that is all we seem to get with these two.  The intimate conversations they were having were glossed over, and I felt that by missing those we were missing key components of their relationship.  Show me instead of tell me is what I kept saying to myself when we skipped past those moments.

Another aspect that I struggled with is that I know that books are far from reality, but the sex scenes were also a bit over the top (gasp…I know I rarely say that, but I just did).  They were hot, so don’t get me wrong here, but they also felt slightly mechanical as well.  These characters had great chemistry together in the bedroom, but I think I would have enjoyed it more if the focus would have been more on the emotional connection between them during the act as well. 

I really struggle with reviewing books that I deem as 3 star reads, because it isn’t that I didn’t enjoy reading the book but rather I found something missing as I read.  I’m sad to say that I found it easy to put this book down, and that never bodes well for me.   I think that this author has real potential for a great story here, because it had good bones and the plot was interesting.  One key thing I know was missing for me that you usually find in reunion type romance was the conversation between characters about the past.  We never get to hear them discuss this, so the back story is left feeling incomplete.  I liked that he wanted to make sure they communicated their feelings (this is so rare and I loved that), but I wanted the day to day stuff too to make me believe they fell in love so fast too.  When I got to the end, I just felt like things were incomplete and it was far too rushed after so much build-up.  So overall, I liked this book and I thought that the author created two characters that were a pleasure to read, but I also think that it does have room for some improvements as well.  

*Review copy provided by author*

If you'd like to check out more about this book or other works by Louise, please head over to her website.

No comments:

Post a Comment