Friday, April 11, 2014

Shades of Gray (KGI #6) by Maya Banks

 

Reviewed by Erica ✰✰✰✰

 

Finally, at last, the story of P.J. Rutherford comes to light. I had been warned that there was a graphic rape scene in this book, so I was prepared for what was to come, but what I wasn't prepared for was how much this story endeared me to P.J. To me, she is one of the most interesting and complex female lead characters that this author has written about. Maya Banks never ceases to amaze me with what she does with her characters. Does she put her females in this series through shit? Yes, absolutely. Does it make for a great story because the guys have a damsel in distress to rescue? Yes, of course, but not in a routine, formulaic way. With each female in this series, the reader gets to go through what they go through, experience what they experienced, and feel the emotions in a very realistic way. This book is not for the faint-hearted, but it's unforgettable, and watching P.J. recover from what happened to her and embrace her relationship with Cole is completely captivating from beginning to end. Garrett may still be my favorite Kelly, but P.J. is my favorite heroine in this series. 

Reviewed by Tabatha ✰✰✰✰✰

 

The best way I can describe this book was that it was intense! I had moments of anger, tears of both sadness and joy, and heartwarming love for this book. I can definitely see where some people would have trouble with the first part, but I'm not one of those people. I think Banks truly made PJ the hero of this story, and put her through hell accordingly just like she would do to any other hero in the series. Every single one of the heroines in this series has endured so much, and PJ was no exception. Unfortunately this means PJ had to endure a horrific incident at the start in a mission gone completely wrong. PJ has always been such a very strong character and even through all she endures, she is not broken. She may be hurt physically and emotionally, but she never broke. She did not shrivel up and turn helplessly to others for help, but instead took all that anger and hurt and kicked some major ass. 

I do like that Banks didn't tie this story up with a bow at the end, because PJ isn't going to be able to miraculously recover and be okay after what she went through. That doesn't make her weak or broken, but rather it makes her human. Cole was great and so very supportive of PJ and I just loved that about him. I adored the moments between them when they seemed so tentatively in love. This story wasn't easy to read, but it was definitely worth reading and I will always have a soft spot for PJ and Cole. 

For more information about this series or Maya's other books, please check out her website.



No comments:

Post a Comment